Tech Savvy


I was searching all weekend for this week’s topics.  In the midst of my weekend adventures, I would jot down different things that came to mind. I would whip out my cell and message myself my thoughts. But it was in the moments that I would look up to find my boyfriend or a family member staring at me, waiting for a response to a question I had not heard, was when it dawned on me what my first topic of the week should be...


Technology whether we’d like to admit it or not, changes something in all of us. We spent majority of our time staring at a screen, whether that is a TV screen a cell phone or a laptop. And now with all the new technology I can add more to that list. I am one to admit that the surge in technology and my emersion into it has affected who I am as a person today. As a teenager, headphones would tune out nagging parents; texts became more frequent than face to face conversations and typing replaced writing. As an adult now, I have noticed more ways in which my dependence on technology has handicapped me: (1) Ever since moving to the US, I have spent more time on English language channels, apps, websites and books than on the Spanish ones. This has ultimately caused me to have a difficult time expressing myself in my native tongue. (2) Going off of number one, my communication skills fail each and every time I have to switch between emailing and face to face conversations. It seems that if I spend too much time doing one, I lose control of the other. (3) Personally, I would rather text/email than call but if I would much rather meet face to face. However, not everyone feels the way I do, which can cause issues to arise. Miscommunication is a big reason why. There is more to communication than just words. It’s about being able to see the impact of your words to who you share them with… I could go on but this post is long enough as it is. All I’m trying to say is dominate technology and don’t let it dominate you. It isn’t all bad. 

Appreciate what and who you have. But remember, it’s not the end of the world to go without certain things for a while. As they say, everything is good in moderation.  Use technology to your advantage. I know I am. If it weren’t for technology, I wouldn’t be able to share my thoughts about it and other topics with you. 

XoXo,

2lipsinluv 

Comments

Popular Posts