9/11

I remember sitting in my 5th grade class at St. Thomas Aquinas. The principal came on the loud speaker and told us to stop what we were doing, bow our heads and pray. That was it.
We were left confused, nervous and a little afraid. Slowly, classmates were pulled out of class, as parents came to pick up their children.
At lunch, the courtyard was almost bare. We barely smiled. We knew something terrible had happened but we couldn't fathom the magnitude of what was occurring in Downtown Manhattan.
School finally let out.
My mother picked my sister and I up. I was expecting my dad to do so but mom explained something had happened and the tunnels and bridges were closed off. My dad was working in Manhattan, had taken my little brother with him. There was no way of contacting him because the cell phone signals had gone out. We were nervous but not afraid. We felt in our hearts that they were okay.
When I got home, I turned on the TV. The news played on every TV channel that was still available. The Twin Towers had been struck by airplanes. I couldn't understand the concept. How could this have happened? I thought we were safe in America. Who could have done this? I thought America had all the criminals under watch and would stop them whenever they tried to harm the country. The images I saw that day of the Towers and of the people downtown, I won't reiterate here. They are images that I will never, ever forget seeing. I still get choked up watching the news today. It leaves my heart heavy, mournful and just sad to hear the names of the fallen being recited by their loved ones. Though I did not know anyone that perished that day, I will never, ever forget that fateful morning of September 11th, 2001.

This is a day of reflection and remembrance. Please be respectful of those who are mourning the lives of lost family members and friends. God bless everyone.


#godblessamerica #wewillneverforget

XoXo,

2lipsinluv

Image: My own. A view from New Jersey.

Comments

Popular Posts