That's Not My Name

Remember it? The Ting Tings’ “That's Not My Name” ? Anthem of the year it came out on. Also, the anthem of my existence. Here's why:

In America, there are two types of people: those that can walk into any gift shop and find their name on a key chain or mug and those who simply cannot. I am the latter. Of my 26 years, I have yet to burst with excitement after finding my name on anything that wasn’t custom ordered. My name is not common. Like, at all. According to the “computational knowledge engine”, Wolfram Alpha (think Google’s super nerdy cousin), my name doesn’t even have enough data available to be ranked when searched beside the words “name popularity.” Ouch? Meh- not really.

I used to loathe when people mispronounced my name. It was annoying and frustrating having to repeat myself over and over only to have them mispronounce it anyway. ‘Till this day, I still get called “Muriel”, “Maribel”, “Mariel”. I once danced in a Sweet 16 (NEVER AGAIN!) and got paired up with a guy named Alfredo. Ohhhh if you know my name, you’re laughing out loud now! “Marinara and Alfredo.” Yup- the "Italian" duo. (#eyerollemoji)

After years of misspellings and mispronounciations, I’ve come to peace with my unique name. This impart has to do with the realization that maybe it’s not so bad, especially since there are a plethora of people just like me, with uncommon names. We're all unique. And that's cool. I still believe, however, I crave simplicity and normalcy because someday, in the FAR, FAR future, I’d like to name my kids the 3rd and 12th most popular baby name, according to Wolfram Alpha. Guess what they are by clicking here: Wolfram Alpha. If you think you know what the names are, comment your answers below. Hint: It's a girl and a boy's name.

Be proud of who you are- and the name you didn’t get to choose. You could always change it... Right Metta World Peace? 

Hey! Check out my Instagram (@2lipsinluv) today & tomorrow. Featuring an awesome Etsy shop, for those of us who love everything personalized- and never found cute things with our names emblazoned on them. 

XoXo,
2lipsinluv

#notmyname #identity #dominicanblogger #unique #wolframalpha #namepopularity #etsy #gracepersonalized 

Comments

Popular Posts